Posted tagged ‘community meetings’

Luray-Warder Neighborhood Meeting Schedule for Saturday, July 15th — All Welcome

July 12, 2017

If you are interested in public safety, consider joining the Luray-Warder Neighborhood Association meeting this Saturday, July 15th! This is their annual public safety meeting and their guest will be MPD’s Third District Commander Stuart Emerman.

The meeting will be held at the Park View Recreation Center and begin at 11 a.m.

Please keep in mind that the border between the Third and Fourth Police Districts is Park Road, with the Third District area south of Park Road.

Brief Notes from Paid Family Leave Panel Discussion

February 7, 2017

paid-leave(Tom Sherwood moderating panel on Paid Family Leave Act.)

Last night, NBC4’s Tom Sherwood moderated a panel discussion at Busboys and Poets (14th Street) organized by the Ward 1 Democrats on the District’s new Paid Family Leave Act. The legislation was approved in December and Mayor Bowser has until 5:30 pm February 16th to act on the bill. While many are of the opinion that she will not veto the bill, there is a possibility that she may allow it to move forward without her signature. After February 16th, Congress has a 30 day passive review process. If they take no action, the bill becomes law.

The panel consisted of Phil Mendelson (DC Council Chair), Joanna Blotner (Jews United for Justice), Maria Gomez (Mary’s Center), Vincent Orange (DC Chamber of Commerce), Jonathan Cho (Sakuramen and Bul Korean), and Jonetta Rose Barras (Barras Report). Mendelson, Blotner, and Gomez spoke in support of the legislation, and Orange, Cho, and Barras were critics of the legislation.

Mendelson opened the discussion by stating that the goal of the Act was to help local businesses by making employment in the District of Columbia attractive and competitive to employees. Even so, implementation will not take effect until 2020 as money can’t be collected for the program until an agency is set up to administer the Act.

Those opposed to the Act stated they were not opposed to universal paid leave, but rather how the leave was being funded. As enrolled, the funds to support the program are raised in the form of a tax paid for by District businesses. Cho stated that the money should come from employees in the form of a payroll deduction and be administered as an insurance program as other cities and countries are currently doing this. Barras was critical that residents from Maryland and Virginia who work in the District will benefit and that the Act excludes Federal and District of Columbia employees. Orange stated that he preferred a mandate that employers provide leave when needed by employees.

Blotner stated that mandates don’t work and expressed support to increase the leave from 8 weeks to a longer period in the future. Gomez acknowledged that the Act will have a significant cost to Mary’s Center, but that providing universal paid leave to take care of District families is the right thing to do.

Mendelson did acknowledge that he would have preferred the structure described by Cho (payroll deductions), but that the District’s unique relationship with Congress and the Home Rule Act prohibits payroll deductions — an issue that has frustrated the Council for many years.

Overall, I left the discussion with the impression that the Act will be implemented and the city will move forward to set up the agency in support of the program … but that the Act can also be amended to make the legislation and program better.

Report from Last Night’s Park View UNC Meeting

January 7, 2016

Last night’s Park View United Neighborhood Coalition meeting was held at the Park View Rec Center from 7 to 8 pm. President Chris Waldmann called the meeting to order and opened the meeting by speaking about how a goal for 2016 will be to collaborate with other neighborhood groups in the area on similar issues. It was also announced that its membership renewal time, and members can renew both at one of the meetings on online at the UNC Web site.

Vice president Marcus Hedrick provided a brief overview on both the redevelopment of Park Morton and the status of the Bruce Monroe park. After attending many of the meetings on the redevelopment of Park Morton, he reported that there are still a number of issues that haven’t been fully decided with the plan, but that he has seen that the development team has been responsive to community feedback in the meetings and have incorporated some of what they’ve heard from early meeting in subsequent meetings.

Sarah Sorscher provided an overview of the streets working group efforts and noted that another meeting will be scheduled for later in January … and Sherita Alexander gave a brief introduction to her efforts with the Friends of Park View Playground organization.

Much of the evening was spent discussing issues and the types of activities or guest speakers that people would like to see in 2016.

There was an early discussion about crime and stability in police officers assigned to the area. One of the points made was that officers tend to get assigned to our area, and then a year or so later they are promoted and moved out of the neighborhood, requiring residents to start from scratch and build new relationships with new officers. This happened (again) recently with the promotion of Lt. David Augustine who was a strong force in PSA 409 (north of Park Road). Gabriel Rojo from the Mayor’s office was in attendance and was requested to report back to the Mayor that the community should have the same stability in MPD deployments that other neighborhoods have.

Other topics that were discussed as topics for future meetings or events included:

  • Neighborhood clean up activities;
  • DCRA and how to report unpermitted activity;
  • Beautifying & planting tree boxes in the area, specifically on Georgia Avenue (which could be a good multi-organization collaborative effort);
  • Addressing illegal dumping of household trash in public little cans;
  • A summer movie program;
  • A meeting on the school lottery process; and,
  • How to assist seniors and those with disabilities in shoveling walks this winter.

After discussing these topics, time expired and the meeting came to a close.

 

Mayor Bowser to Attend Park View Community Meeting on Wednesday

November 2, 2015

Mayor Bowser PV UNC flyerAccording to announcements on area listservs and community meetings, Mayor Bowser is scheduled to come to the Park View United Neighborhood Coalition meeting this Wednesday, November 4th, at 7 pm (see flyer to the right and annoucement below). Questions are being requested in advance and I’m sure there will be many.

For me, my hope is that Mayor Bowser will provide answers to questions related to two key developments in the area. The first is the redevelopment of the old Hebrew Home at 1125 Spring Road. This property consumed a significant amount of community engagement from June 2014 to the end of the year. Yet, few to no details have been shared since the beginning of 2015.

The second area I hope Mayor Bowser will spend some time on are details related to the Park Morton redevelopment. The redevelopment of Park Morton will be truly transformative for the entire Park View community. However, news that this project would include a portion of the Bruce Monroe parcel was greeted by both support and opposition in the community. The meeting on Wednesday would be a great opportunity for the Mayor to speak to this issue.

The announcement from Park View UNC president Chris Waldmann follows:

The Park View United Neighborhood Coalition is excited to announce that Mayor Muriel Bowser will be attending our next meeting next Wednesday, November 4th at 7 PM at the Park View Recreation Center (693 Otis Place NW).

This will be a great opportunity to ask the mayor about issues that affect Park View and the entire city!

In order to let the mayor answer as many questions as possible during the forum, we are asking neighbors to submit their questions in advance. To submit a question please send an email to parkviewuncdc (at) gmail.com with the subject line Question for the Mayor.

Questions may be anonymous or not, that is up to you. Also, we will accept written questions at the meeting.

Spanish language translation services will be provided.

Abra traduccion en Español.

COME OUT, GET ANSWERS AND SHOW THE MAYOR THAT PARK VIEW IS ENGAGED IN MAKING A BETTER DC!

Luray-Warder Neighborhood Association Meeting on Saturday, October 17th, with CM Nadeau

October 13, 2015

The next meeting of the Luray-Warder Neighborhood Association is scheduled for 11:00 am this Saturday, October 17th. Both Deputy MPD Chief Diane Groomes and Councilmember Brianne Nadeau will be guests at the meeting. All are welcome to attend, and the meeting will be held at the Park View Recreation Center, 693 Otis Place NW. Feel free to come for updates on developments in Park View and safety in our area

Bloomingdale Civic Association Hosts Historic Preservation Panel Discussion Tonight

June 23, 2015

The Bloomingdale Civic Association is has organized a Historic Preservation Panel Discussion event for tonight at St. George’s Church (see flyer below). I’ll be there and expect this to be an interesting discussion. Others may want to check it out too.

For those who can’t attend, or would like to know more about this topic and how it relates to Park View, I’m also in the process of organizing a similar event in Park View in the coming weeks.

Historic Preservation Committee Mtg Flyer 6 16 15

DC Water Ward 1 Town Hall Scheduled for April 7

April 3, 2015

Throughout the month of April, DC Water is partnering with District of Columbia councilmembers to host town hall meetings across the District. In these meetings, DC Water C.E.O. and General Manager George S. Hawkins will discuss how rates are set and what is funded by ratepayer dollars. He will also address DC Water’s environmental programs, future water and sewer projects and issues facing local communities.

These town hall meetings will feature information on water quality, construction projects, employment, and customer service. Specific discussion topics will include water and sewer rates, drinking water, infrastructure, job opportunities and efforts to help clean local rivers.

The Ward 1 meeting is scheduled to occur at Harriet Tubman Elementary School (see flier below).  If you’ve ever wanted to know more about DC Water and what they do, this is a great opportunity.

DC Water Ward 1 Town Hall


%d bloggers like this: