2015 Rock ‘n’ Roll USA Marathon Is This Saturday — Expect Rolling Road Closures

Posted March 11, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Sports leisure and entertainment, traffic

Tags:

The Rock ‘N’ Roll DC Marathon and ½ Marathon will take place this Saturday, March 14. The race begins on Constitution Avenue, NW at 14th Street and finishes in Lot 7 of the RFK Stadium Grounds. The race begins at 7:30 a.m., travels north along Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway before traveling east on Columbia Road and Harvard Street, NW. It then travels south on North Capitol Street before heading east again on K Street, NE. The race will create rolling road closures, so make alternate travel plans, take Metro, or refer to the race course map prior to heading out. For more information or road closure information, you can find more information at the Marathon Web site.

2015 marathon map

Capital Taste Presents: Delilah — at EatsPlace Starting March 12th

Posted March 10, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Restaurants

Tags: , ,
Scallops

Nantucket Bay Scallops

Park View’s very own EatsPlace has informed me that that its next chef in resident. Capital Taste Presents: Delilah. According to the information in EatsPlace’s press release:

“Delilah will make abundant use of early spring vegetables, seafood and meat to highlight the freshness of the season, such as butternut ravioli, Nantucket Bay scallops, green papaya and grilled skirt steak. Dessert will include peanut butter and chocolate napoleons and caramel apple fritters.

Chef Mackenzie Kitburi is the owner and executive chef of Capital Taste. The much-buzzed about young chef has been busy on the underground dining scene. Past events from Capital Taste include a field to plate dinner at East Lynn Farm, a Thai inspired dinner series dedicated to Kitburi’s late aunt and numerous other underground dinners. Kitburi seeks out personal relationships with local farmers and purveyors is proud of using local and sustainable ingredients.”

Chef Kitburi’s residency at EatsPlace will start Thursday March 12 at 5:30 p.m. and continue  through Saturday, April 4, 2015.

  • Delilah: 5:30 – 10 pm Thursday
  • Delilah: 5:30 – 10 pm Friday
  • Delilah: 11:30 – 2:30 /  5:30 – 10 pm Saturday
  • Closed for private events Sunday
  • New pop-up TBA Monday
  • New pop-up TBA Tuesday
  • New pop-up TBA Wednesday

Below are the Menus:

Capital Taste Presents: Delilah at EatsPlace

[Amuse]

Nantucket Bay Scallops, Avocado Purée, Grapefruit  7

[v] Green Papaya, Quinoa, Tomato Confit, Yuzu Aioli  7

[Starter]

[v] Cauliflower, Green Curry, Virginia Fuji Apple  10

[v] Mushroom Salad, Lychee, Chinese Sausage, Peanut Soil  10

[v] Artichoke Soup, Smoked Mussels, Radishes, Lemon  11

Prosciutto, Fennel, Mixed Greens, Almond Milk Gel  12

[v] Spring Pea Risotto, Caramelized Onion, Bacon Compote  12

[Main]

[v] Butternut Ravioli, Boquerones, Young Coconut  16

Half Roasted Chicken, Plantain Puree, Yuca, Poblano  17

Seared Salmon, Fava Beans, Farro, Cucumber Broth  19

Black Bass, Beet Puree, Glazed Carrots, Parsnips  22

Grilled Skirt Steak, Smoked Potato Puree, Asparagus  24

[Dessert]

Peanut Butter Chocolate Napoleon Caramel, Peanuts 6

Peach Upside Down Cake, Lemon Thyme Ice Cream, Peach Sauce  6

Caramel Apple Fritters, Honey Ice Cream, Caramel Sauce 8

*[v]= available as a vegetarian/vegan option

Adams Morgan Hotel Project Finally Getting Started

Posted March 9, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Development

Tags: , ,

For those who may have been following the Adams Morgan hotel development project, I learned at last weeks ANC 1C meeting that everything is now a go and work will likely begin this week. Work will focus on razing the old City Paper building located at 2390 Champlain Street, NW. While there isn’t much posted on the Adams Morgan Historic Hotel Web site at this time, as the project moves forward the site is to include more updates.

Getting from concept to construction has been a long road. The 42 has a good overview on where things were in May 2013 as does the Washington Business Journal from May 2014 for those wanting more background on the development. One aspect that I particularly like is the adaptive reuse of the former First Church of Christ, Scientist building at 1770 Euclid Street, NW. The former church building was placed on the National Register of Historic Placed on January 27, 2015.

AdamsMorganHotelfromeuclid(Rendering of hotel project from 2013.)

Early History of Petworth Methodist Church

Posted March 6, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Architecture, History

Tags: , , ,

Petworth United Methodist Church(Petworth United Methodist Church today.)

One of the early buildings on Grant Circle is the Petworth Methodist Church. The current church was dedicated in 1916, making it an early Petworth structure, yet it wasn’t the first location of the Petworth Methodist Episcopal Church, nor the first building for area Methodists.

The original site of the Petworth Methodist Episcopal Church was on the northwest corner of 8th and Shepherd streets, NW. The property for the first Methodist church building was a gift of George W.F. Swartzell. With a congregation of 42 members, the cornerstone for the one-story red brick building was laid on April 23, 1906. The chapel was completed and dedicated on October 14, 1906. The original building was small as none knew if the congregation would succeed or not, but in less than a year the church structure was crowded and it became impossible to house and seat all the congregation.

Petworth Methodist 1909(1909 drawing of new Petworth M.E. Church showing original chapel to the west (left) with proposed new addition to the east (right). The new auditorium was never built.)

By May 1909, plans were made to enlarge the edifice. The new auditorium was designed by architect William J. Palmer and roughly seventy by eighty-five feet, with arrangements for a large choir and organ in the rear of the pulpit. The structure was to be built of brick and finished in pure white pebble-dash. However, these plans never came to pass.

sss

The original chapel of the former Methodist church at 8th and Shepherd ca. 1920, when used as a school. Image from Library of Congress.

During the fall of 1914 and the early spring of 1915 the church was turned over to the United States government for a sum of $15,000 to be used as a schoolhouse for children of the Petworth district. The Petworth public schools at that time were in need of additional space. The church building was adjacent to the old Petworth School, which along with the church would also make use of portable classrooms before razing the church building and expanding the school.

In April 1915 plans were made to erect a new church building. The contract was awarded to Charles E. Wire, a member of the church. Ground was broken for this building on the afternoon of July 11, 1915. On November 30, 1915, the corner stone was laid by the Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of the District of Columbia, Hon. Alexander Grant, grand master. The building was dedicated on October 8, 1916, by Rev. William F. McDowell, resident bishop of Washington.

Petworth Methodist 1915(Elevation published in 1915 of the new church building.)

The design of the church is Tudor-Gothic, and the octagonal shape was reportedly patterned after the architecture of the period of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. The auditorium was designed to comfortably seat 500, and by use of the Akron system seating arrangement may be provided for 800.

Petworth Methodist(Auditorium of Petworth Methodist during community meeting.)

Bibliography

“As Petworth Methodist Episcopal Church Will Appear When Completed.” The Evening Star, July 10, 1915, Part 2, p. 8.

“Church Arranges Dedication Week.” The Washington Times, September 30, 1916, p. 12.

“Church to be Begun Soon.” The Washington Post, May 30, 1915, p. 15.

“Church to be Dedicated.” The Washington Post, September 27, 1916, p. 4.

“Dedicate New Church.” The Washington Post, October 15, 1906, p. 10.

“Methodists Start Church.” The Washington Post, April 24, 1906, p. 14.

“Modern Church Cold.” The Washington Post, July 12, 1915, p. 4.

“New Church is Planned.” The Washington Post, May 16, 1909, p. CA8.

“Petworth M.E. Church.” Washington Herald, July 15, 1922, p. 6.

“Petworth M.E. Church.” The Washington Star, May 16, 1909, Part 2, p. 5.

Notes From March ANC 1C Meeting

Posted March 5, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Community Meetings

Tags: , , , , ,

ANC1C(ANC1C preparing to get started before a packed house.)

Last night’s meeting of Advisory Neighborhood Commission 1C was well attended, primarily due to the Commission’s consideration of the proposed development at Meridian International  (more below). In addition, the Commission also voted to approve a letter of support for the Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon, unanimously supported a resolution calling for a Moratorium on Pop-Up Development (noting that ANC 1A passed an identical resolution in February), voted to join residents on a BZA Appeal for 2305-2307 Ontario Road, NW, and unanimously approved a resolution calling upon  DCRA to stop using the perimeter wall method when calculating Gross Floor Area/Floor Area Ratio and calling for an administrative review of DCRA operations.

Site plan of proposed development (from ANC 1C Web site).

Site plan of proposed development (from ANC 1C Website).

The agenda item of most interest to the community was the proposed development at Meridian International. Attendance was high at the meeting with attendees — many from Beekman Place and Crescent Place — overflowing into the hallway. The development  in question would face 16th Street between Belmont Street and Crescent Place, include approximately 130 units of residential housing, and include a conference center for Meridian International (connecting to the White Meyer House beneath a terrace). The development team gave a brief overview of the plans and spoke about how the building’s design is compatible with other apartment buildings on 16th Street.

After their presentation, members of the community spoke. There was acknowledgment that the development team has been responsive during the process and that Meridian International has been a good neighbor. But with regards to the proposal thus far, there was board consensus that the plan isn’t there yet. The chief concerns were:

  • The building is too high, especially in relationship to Beekman Place to the south, where the grade of 16th Street results in the building towering over the residential community;
  • The building’s massing;
  • How the development will impact traffic;
  • How the conference center will impact local parking, and what the impact will be due to catering and delivery services;
  • Architectural compatibility — a spokesperson from Crescent place described how each structure on that short street was an architectural “jewel”, with nearly all of them being on the National Register of Historic Places. When adding a new building to this “jewel box”, they argued that it should also be a “jewel” and a noteworthy architectural endeavor. Following up on this, another resident noted that the design for the addition to the former Italian Embassy successfully integrated with the historic character of its surroundings illustrating that a more compatible design at Meridian International was possible.

Added to the list of community concerns, Chairman Billy Simpson introduced an amendment to the resolution under consideration that the design relate better to 16th Street. It was noted that other large apartment buildings on 16th Street have central entrances but that the design for this building did not, disconnecting it from the thoroughfare.

After hearing from the community, the Commission voted in support of the recommendations of its Planning, Zoning, and Transportation Committee — the recommendations being that the Commission call on the Historic Preservation Review Board to:

  1. Require that the height of the building be reduced;
  2. Require that the scale and massing be reduced;
  3. Require that the materials be revised and enhanced; and,
  4. Require a central entrance on 16th Street.

Meridian International proposal 16th Street(Rendering showing current design’s relationship to 16th Street (from ANC 1C Website).)

Mapping Segregation in Washington DC, 1900-1950

Posted March 4, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Community, Demographics, History

Tags: ,

Here’s a program that’s a collaboration among historians Mara Cherkasky and Sarah Shoenfeld of Prologue DC, historian/GIS specialist Brian Kraft of JMT Technology Group, and others. That sounds fascinating. It is funded in part by the Humanities Council of Washington, DC.

From an email:

Mapping Segregation in Washington DC, 1900-1950

Focusing on historic housing segregation in the Northwest DC neighborhoods of Bloomingdale, Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant, Park View, and Pleasant Plains

Thursday, March 5, 6:30 pm – Great Hall, Martin Luther King Jr. Library, 901 G Street, NW

Sunday, March 8, 3 pm – Mount Pleasant Library, 16th and Lamont Streets, NW

Mapping Segregation in Washington DC is a public history project whose goal is to create a set of layered, online maps illustrating the historic segregation of DC’s housing, schools, recreational facilities, and other public venues. Our first year has been focused on racially restrictive housing covenants mostly east of Rock Creek Park, and the legal challenges to them.

Come learn why many of DC’s “historically black” neighborhoods were once exclusively white, and how more recent shifts in the city’s racial identity have been shaped by this history.

Come see for yourself the maps we’ve created to show restricted neighborhoods, the legal battle lines, and who lived where over the years. Maps tell stories that words cannot.

1952 Washington population map(Map showing demographic change in Washington based on 1930, 1940, and 1950 census data.)

Renovated 1319 Park Road Adds 24 Units to Neighborhood

Posted March 3, 2015 by Kent
Categories: Architecture, Development, Housing

Tags: , ,
1319 Park Road, NW.

1319 Park Road, NW.

The renovation of 1319 Park Road, NW, is finally finished and potential residents have been checking it out. The building contains  24 one- and two-bedroom units, as well as a few efficiencies. Last Saturday the building was open for viewing and I took the opportunity to review the building.

Overall, I like the results of this renovation. While the thing I like the most is the addition of much needed housing to Columbia Heights, I also appreciate that the building isn’t going to be painted, the replacement windows fit the original apertures (whereas many projects reduce the size of the openings to fit stock window replacements), and the fit and finish inside was nice as well. In looking at Zillow, it appears that rent for a one-bedroom unit begins at around $1,700 per month.

The photos below are of one of the units and the entry foyer.

IMG_8226

IMG_8227

IMG_8228


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 136 other followers

%d bloggers like this: