The following announcement came through my email last night. It sounds like an enjoyable opportunity to spend the Fourth of July relaxing, fishing, and watching the fireworks on the south grounds of the Old Soldiers’ Home. I’m sure many won’t want to miss it (a PDF flyer is available here)
Friends of the Soldiers’ Home in cooperation with the Armed Forces Retirement Home present:
A July 4th Celebration
Family Fun* Local Food Vendors* Children’s Fishing* Hiking* Biking* Picnicking* Jogging* Soccer* Touch Football* Kickball* Tug of War* Balloon Twisting*
Watch the fireworks on the National Mall from one of the best vantage points in Washington, D.C., on the grounds of the Armed Forces Retirement Home!
Wednesday, July 4, 2012, 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., on the southern grounds of the Armed Forces Retirement Home, Washington, D.C. (Entrance at Rock Creek Church Road and Randolph Street)
Carry in picnic food and drink or purchase from these vendors courtesy of Grey DC:
- Lemon Grass Truck: We serve Vietnamese Cuisine. The menu features 4 main items; banh mi, tacos, vermicelli noodles, and salad. All are topped with either lemongrass chicken or slow roasted pork. We will also be serving Bubble Tea!
- Captain Cookie: Captain Cookie and the Milk Man is a bakery truck that serves fresh-baked cookies, local creamery milk and made-to-order ice cream sandwiches
- PapsJuices, LLC: I produce my own juices from the freshest and finest Roots, Fruits Flowers in the world.
- Los Verracos: In 2009, some friends in New Jersey/New York came together over a mutual admiration and respect of pork and all of its wonders. They decided they wanted to find a way to share this passion with friends and family. Los Verracos Supper Club was born.
- We are Humble Pie! We offer updated, rustic interpretations of classic American pie flavors using seasonal, local produce and handmade all-butter crust. Plus, each tart fits in the palm of your hand!
- Sugar High Bakery, a selection of baked goods with a twist. I bake everything from cakes to cookies to cupcakes, making sure to keep everything both tasty and fun! For samples of my work, you can check out my blog here and see other samples of my work on Facebook here.
Trout Unlimited, the nation’s foremost organization for restoring fisheries, is supplying volunteers and donating 20 fishing poles and bait for children to use at the Soldiers Home fishing ponds stocked with fish. Catch-and-release fishing will occur from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
In addition to fishing we will have organized activities including soccer, touch football, kickball and tug of war. Thanks to Park View Kids Zone for helping supply equipment. Why go to the Mall when you can watch the fireworks from some of the high ground right here at the Soldiers Home? Fireworks begin shortly after 9 p.m.
Also featuring KazooTheBalloonMaker.com: Serving the DC metro area, Kazoo specializes in advanced, multi-balloon creations that are sure to make the kids smile and amaze the adults. No simple dogs or swords here. Available for parties and events of all kinds.
- ****STREET PARKING IS EXTREMELY LIMITED****Please walk or bike to the inside of the grounds; the H8 bus stops near the entrance and the Georgia/Petworth metro stop is a 10-minute walk from the entrance gate
- Please help us keep the grounds clean by removing your own waste
Friends of the Soldiers Home is a volunteer organization serving members of the Armed Forces Retirement Home. Friends extends enormous thanks to the veterans and staff of the Home for inviting the community inside the gates for this very special July 4 celebration.