Reminder — Call 311 for Bulk Trash Collection
I’ve been receiving a number of requests from residents to assist them with getting bulk trash out of their alleys lately. This usually includes old mattresses, but can include anything that doesn’t fit in the trash can put out for regular trash collection.
The easy answer to this problem is the Citywide call center at 311. By dialing 311 you can report illegal dumping if you notice some in your alley. You can also dial 311 to schedule a bulk trash collection. I suspect that some of the problems I’ve been alerted to are nothing more than residents putting bulk trash out for their regular trash pick up and not realizing that they need to make a special call … so … I am including the information from DPW’s Website on the issue below.
alleys, Street trash comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.
DPW collects large, bulky items by appointment from residential households that receive DPW trash collection service. These households include single-family homes and residential buildings with three or fewer living units. Call the Mayor’s Citywide Call Center at 311 to make an appointment, which is usually available within seven to 10 days of your call. Up to seven items may be collected at one time. Customers with more than seven items may request additional appointments.
Bulk items are picked up at the same place you set out your regular trash.
Acceptable Bulk Items
- Air conditioners (drain water and fluids)
- Hot water heaters
- Household furniture
- Large toys (kiddie pools, playhouses, disassembled swing sets)
- Major appliances, e.g., refrigerators (doors removed)
- Mattresses and bed frames (MUST be wrapped in plastic)
- Rugs (MUST be rolled and tied)
Unacceptable Bulk Items
- Ceiling tile
- Construction Materials
- Demolition materials
- Hazardous and/or liquid waste
- Household trash or garbage
- Small tree limbs (should be tied and placed with regular trash)
- Tree stumps
Residents also may drop off a small number of bulk items at the Ft. Totten Transfer Station at 4900 John F. McCormack Road, NE, weekdays from 1 pm to 5 pm and Saturdays from 8 am to 3 pm. The transfer station is closed on holidays. Up to four tires may be brought to Ft. Totten only for disposal. Apartment buildings with four or more units, condominiums, co-ops and other commercial properties must have their bulk items removed by a private, licensed hauler. Find a list of registered recycling haulers in the Commercial Recycling Guide.
Renovation material as bricks, concrete, construction and demolition materials, and dirt are not accepted at Ft. Totten. Please visit buildersrecyclingguide.com for a list of construction and demolition companies who may haul these items.
How You Can Help
- Call 311 to set up an appointment before putting your bulk items out for collection.
- Put your bulk items out no earlier than 6:30 pm the day before and no later than 6 am on the day they are to be collected. Place them where your trash and recycling are collected. You could receive a sanitation violation ticket if these items are in the public space at any time other than your collection appointment.
- Remember, no more than seven items will be collected per appointment.