2011-2012 Seasonal Leaf Collection to Begin November 7
This year’s fall leaf collection program runs between November 7, 2011 and January 15, 2012. DPW will collect leaves at least twice from residential neighborhoods by “vacuuming” the leaves residents rake into their treebox spaces. They will also collect bagged leaves from the treebox space or the alley in neighborhoods with rear trash and recycling collections. Bagged leaves will be placed in the landfill. By collecting leaves, DPW reduces potential accidents and injuries resulting from slipping on wet leaves and prevent catch basins (storm drains) from clogging and causing street flooding during heavy rains. DPW also will collect holiday trees from residents’ treebox spaces between January 3 and 14.
How You Can Help
- Rake leaves into the treebox space the weekend before your street’s collection weeks.
- Please – leaves only! Tree limbs, bricks, dirt, rocks, etc., will damage the equipment and delay collections.
- Prevent fires, parking problems and possible flooding by placing leaves in the treebox space, not in the street. When it rains, leaves will block the storm drain and cause flooding.
- If you choose to bag your leaves, please use paper bags. Plastic bags will damage the equipment. You may place bagged leaves in the treebox space or next to the trash/recycling container(s).
- Holiday trees and wreaths will be picked up curbside from January 3 to January 14. Remove all decorations and place the greenery in the treebox space in front of your home between Sunday, January 1, and Sunday, January 8. Please do not put the trees in plastic or cloth bags.
- Any trees not collected by January 15 should be set out with your trash to be picked up as space in the trash trucks allows over the following weeks.
(Information modified from the DPW Web site)City services comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.