Then and Now: Homes Along New Hampshire Avenue
The homes located on the east side of New Hampshire Avenue just north of Park Road are celebrating their 100th anniversaries this month. At the time of their construction, the area they were built on was cited by the Washington Times as an excellent example of the rapid metamorphosis of the northwest section of the city beyond the lines of the old Boundary (Florida) Street.
The area bounded by Park Road, Georgia and New Hampshire Avenues was then known as Steiger’s subdivision and the Weems tract. When Columbia Heights was first placed on the market this acreage was purchased by Ernest Steiger, of New York, and Mr. Weems, founder of the Weems line of steamers running between Washington and Baltimore. While subdivided, the properties were held intact until the rapidly expanding city reached their limits.
The homes on the east side of New Hampshire Avenue between Park Road and Otis Place were built in 1910 by Mr. Dunigan. They were described as being in the Spanish style with roman brick fronts and having large porches.
Below is how the homes look today.Development, History comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.